Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  14 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 24+ years
19958803

I have a signed contract with a buyer on a house in Dayton,

I have a signed contract with a buyer on a house in Dayton, Ohio. The first contract was signed April 23 and I am still waiting for them to complete their lending paperwork. We were originally suppose to close May 30, but a week out they admitted they had done nothing with lending because the house purchase price was $138,000 and they needed it (as they had discovered after the fact) to be at least $144K plus for him to get his full va loan. We subsequently agreed that I would return $5,000 to him at closing for repairs and he would pay $1,100 more as both realtors feel certain the house will appriase for more than $144K. But the buyers and their realtor are still dragging their feet and my house is tied up and I have lost so much time and expense (additional mortgage payments, landscaping contractor). They have broken the contract time and again, but I now feel like I have too much invested to turn back. Can they legallu be looking at other houses while my house is locked up?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Can they legallu be looking at other houses while my house is locked up?
.
Yes, although it would not be a good idea to do so with a deal still pending, there would not be anything that would prevent them from looking at other properties while waiting on this deal to either close or fall through.
.
With that said, the buyer has a duty to act in good faith to attempt to obtain financing to complete the purchase. If they are just dragging their heels waiting for the closing date to pass or for you to terminate the contract, then you would have grounds to sue them for breach of contract and try to keep any earnest money.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They refused to make anything but $500 of their $1K earnest money non-refundable. It seems so unfair that I can end up getting almost totally stiffed after all this time. What about this I found on another website.

Specific performance

If the buyer breaches the contract, the seller may resort to a lawsuit for specific performance. Essentially, specific performance means a court will force someone to go through with whatever he or she promised to do.

"If you signed up to buy a house for $620,000, all conditions are met and you are just not going to buy it, the seller can say, 'No, you are going to buy it for $620,000' and get a court order for you to pay the $620,000. That's called specific performance," Cammarosano explains.

This type of lawsuit is rare, perhaps because sellers realize the buyer may not have $620,000, to use Cammarosano's example. But if the seller can't find another buyer and believes the one who breached the contract can complete the purchase, specific performance may be ordered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my follow up question?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
That is correct that you could sue for specific performance if they are approved for financing and are just trying to back out of the transaction. But if they are turned down by their bank for the loan, then if there is a financing contingency in the contract (and there likely is) then specific performance wouldn't work. They have a good faith duty to pursue financing until they receive a decision one way or the other. They couldn't back out just because the house wasn't priced high enough.
.
However, if they have acted in bad faith in trying to obtain financing by not actively pursuing it, then you can sue them for breach of contract and seek both compensatory damages that you can prove as well as punitive damages to punish the buyer for their actions.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer
Experience: 14 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 24+ years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Appreciate the help

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Hope I helped a bit.
.
.
Thanks