Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

I own my home(my money). I have a friend living with me who

I own my home(my money). I have a friend living with me who pays the gas and electric and most of the food. My brother said to make sure that he will not have a clam on the house in case something happens to me. Will he? The deed is in my name but the gas & Electric bill is in his. I pay the rest of the bills.

concerned SW
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You need not worry. Your brother is talking about the concept of adverse possession. Adverse possession is the process of claiming title to real estate by taking it and occupying it for a period of time. Adverse possession requires the following conditions to be met: i) actual possession of the property; ii) open and notorious use of the property; iii) exclusive use of the property; iv) hostile or adverse use of the property; and v) continuous use of the property. In New Jersey, In New Jersey, the duration of such possession is sixty (60) years for uncultivated land and thirty (30) years for other real estate under New Jersey Code §2A-14-30. So, there is not adverse and hostile possession because he's there with your consent plus he has not satisfied the time requirement. Thus, he has no chance of claiming title through adverse possession.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: