Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

Do Texas condo associations have to provide notice to homeowners

Do Texas condo associations have to provide notice to homeowners of board meetings, and if so, what is the notice required?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Section 82.106 requires that the bylaws set out the manner in which homeowners are notified of the meetings. The association is bound to follow the requirements set out in the bylaws. If the bylaws don't say, then notice must be delivered between 10-60 days prior to the meeting, via fax, mail or personal service.

Section 82.108 states that the board must notify any unit owner who has submitted a written request for notification of a meeting of the next meeting. If the person who receives the request doesn't know, then the owner must be notified once a meeting is scheduled. So, if the bylaws don't require notice to members, any unit owner could invoke that provision to request notice from the board.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok to clarify, a condo owner is only entitled to notice of condo board meetings if they ask to be notified in writing?

No. That's a catch-all provision if the by-laws have some other method for notifying owners that doesn't involve written notice.

The first thing is to look at the bylaws and see what they say about notifying the owners. They're supposed to have a provision that discusses notice. If they don't, then the association has to mail or personally deliver notice to everyone.