Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

how is a land contract (contract for deed) different from a

how is a land contract (contract for deed) different from a normal purchase and sale agreement?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. With a contract for deed, the title doesn't transfer to the buyer until the buyer has fully performed under the agreement by paying the entire purchase price. In the traditional sale, the title transfers at the initial closing and at that closing the buyer gives the seller/lender a promissory note secured by a lien on the property to secure buyer's performance on the promissory note.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is a contract for deed a separate document to be used in place of a purchase and sales contract? what language distinguishes it from a regular purchase and sales contract?

Thanks so much for following up. Yes, they are two separate contracts....the contract for deed is used when title doesn't transfer until later whereas the purchase and sale contract is used to set forth the traditional closing where the title changes at closing. The differentiation is when title transfers. If contract for deed, to protect the buyer, the buyer is going to want the document recorded to put third party on public notice that buyer has a beneficial ownership interest in the property so that the seller cannot put a lien on the property that gets priority during the period between the contract and when title transfers.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/