Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

I live in a condo in the outskirts of Chicago and my association

I live in a condo in the outskirts of Chicago and my association does not allow us to have pets. I have a family emergency to where I need to watch a family members dog temporarily. This will be for about 3 months. I have approached everyone living in my building and had them sign if they were agreeable to let me temporarily take care of this dog. If I present this to the association manager and bring her all the signatures, do I have any chance of fighting this if she tells me no? I hear she's very cold hearted and will probably tell me no even though I have all these signatures. What do I do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There are two possibilities here. The first is that the board of directors could vote to change the rules to temporarily allow pets in certain circumstances. Since the management company works for the board, they would have to abide by the change. If the board will not agree to help you, look at the by-laws of the condominium. There should be a process in there that says how the by-laws can be amended. If the other unit owners are on your side, you could call for a formal vote to amend the bylaws. Unfortunately, that usually takes time.

Without a rule change or a bylaws change, unfortunately, the signatures of other homeowners wouldn't be enough to overrule any fines or penalties the management company assessed because you temporarily had a pet. The management company is bound to follow the rules, even if unit owners ask them to make an exception. They could choose not to enforce a rule, but they can't be prohibited from doing so.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.