Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I live in Massachusetts. I have neighbor whose property is

I live in Massachusetts. I have neighbor whose property is a mess, and horribly overgrown. Much extends through my fence into my yard. His house is a blight, and decreasing property values The neighbor on the other side of his house has the same complaint. Do we have any legal recourse to force this man to clean up his property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Yes, you do have a cause of action...one for private nuisance. It's possible you can get the city/county to do your work for you by contacting them and having them issue your neighbor a citation forcing your neighbor to clean up the property. If not, you and the neighbor on the other side should file a suit for private nuisance. Your neighbor's failure to maintain his property deprives both of you of the peaceful and quiet enjoyment of your property and directly impact the valuation of your property....and thus is legally deemed to deprive you of the habitability of your property. As such, you can file suit for private nuisance and ask the court to award you both damages for the past deprivation of the full enjoyment of your property, and order to remediate the existing problem and to continue thereafter to maintain his property. If he then violates the court order, he would be in contempt of court and subject to civil and/or criminal sanctions.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which town office would I notify? And thank you. For whatever reason, your reply never came through my email. I complained via follow-up form to JUST ANSWER and requested a refund. They will be calling me, and I will then have them amend my comments and leave you positive feedback Thanks so much.

Ann

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for following up. Each township and/or city has its own unique government structure. You would want to contact the town clerk or administrator and inquire as to which department would handle a public nuisance complaint. Also, due to the nature of the problem, the public health and environmental services division frequently handles these type situations.