Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

My daughter bought a house two years ago here in Wisconsin.

My daughter bought a house two years ago here in Wisconsin. Her boyfriend at the time did not have a good credit rating so it was bought in her name only. Only her name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage and title. The house was a foreclosure and in poor repair. Her boyfriend did some repair work and light remodeling of the house while he was living with her. He then left the state and the relationship broke up and he married someone else. He did help her pay the mortgage (about 1/2 of it) for several months after he left but then stopped paying anything. She alone carried on the costs of the house for several months but then he talked her into selling it which she recently did. The profit of the sale of the house after expenses came to approximately $10,000. We did want to be fair to him so we sent him a check for approximately $5000. He is now insisting that is not adequate compensation for him and he is threatening legal action. Does he have any ground to stand on? Thank you very much.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. He has no legal entitlement to anything. He has no ownership interest in the house. Anything he paid toward the house would legally be considered either a gift or rent, not ownership. He can threaten legal action all he wants, but if he's not on the title and he has nothing that your daughter signed that would obligate her to pay him anything, he has no chance of prevailing in any suit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much....that is what we were hoping to hear. She signed nothing so that is good; however, I forgot to mention that he did give her some money ($500, I believe) to help with the initial down payment when she bought the house. We are not disputing that fact, nor the fact that he sunk money into the house. That is why we felt that giving him half the profits was very fair.

Does that change anything?

Thanks again, Mary

You're welcome and thanks for following up. That changes nothing....he has no right to any ownership....he's not on the deed and the deed is the definitive document evidencing ownership.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/