Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

My husband and I are on the deed and first mortgage.He took

My husband and I are on the deed and first mortgage.He took a second mortgage out on the home without my signature. He left me/ wants a divorce and defaulted on the second. I have faithfully paid the first. The home is upside down by roughly $100,00.00.
I live in Florida. Can the second foreclose on the property or is there liability for me.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Can you tell me the value of the house, the amount owed on the first mortgage and the amount owed on the second mortgage? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The 1st mortgage is $268,000.00

2nd around $75,000.00

Value of home dropped around $150,000.00 based on comps. It has not been appraised since 2006

Thanks so much for your reply. You need not worry about this second mortgage. You have no liability for this loan since you did not sign it. And, you don't have to worry about any foreclosure by them. The way a foreclosure works is that in the event of a foreclosure, the lienholders must be paid in full in the order of their priority until the money from the foreclosure sale is gone. Since your first mortgage balance is more than the value of the property, any foreclosure by the second lienholder would yield no money to the second lienholder, so the lienholder would not incur the time and expense of a foreclosure which would yield no proceeds to them.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Thank you also for the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness!