We live in Jax FL. Built our home 19 years ago and was last home in our area built so we landscaped our property so there would be no water damage. The property in question was built 10 years before us and is on it's 4th owner. The 3rd owners built a pool and elevated their back yard and we started noticing some water problems from that but not enough to report. The present and 4th owners unfortunately have as of April 1st 2013
1. Defoliated their property in pathways to our property
2. Built a retaining wall in front of their house to REDIRECT water to us
3. Built a very thick driveway to add to REDIRECTING of water to us
4. Installed French drains from their street and the front of their property that also gathers 3 other residences rain water from their street.
5. PVC piping that is large enough for a commercial business to use. Numerous pipes I have pictures of them installing as of April 2013
6. New building construction
35 buy40 garage giving additional water and drainage
problems. Not doing anything to prevent additional drainage to our property a gulley is directed all around building site washing down to our property.
7. Having serious problems with Mosquito's, flees and ticks from all of this drainage and standing water. So much water comes to our property and no where for it to go.
8. the redirected drainage from this property flows mud, silt, and debris drainage of contaminated water into our pool. We have a fiberglass pool and standing water could eventually lift our pool out of the ground.
9. Our air conditioner units are being flooded and our office has standing water underneath it. We have computers and important client info in this office. We had to dig a ditch around our sunroom so water flow wouldn't come into our sunroom.
I have over 50 pictures showing damages
and installation of all mentioned. tried to talk to the neighbor
3 times. All documented. Not working with us. Say's he doesn't care.
10. Topsoil and sod all gone on one whole side of house, and 3/4 of back yard. Roots
of trees exposed. Totally Saturated land.
Called the city to come out to see property. Many calls. City sent someone out only to move that person and finally sending another person out with Municipal Code Compliance. Have a n additional call to Development Services, and Building Code Enforcement . City id trying to get out of helping me making them come out.
Also, I'm calling permits tomorrow and finding out about the permits what they were allowing him to do, and who signed off on it. I was never even notified by city and of this was even going to take place. The homeowner
said he got permits, and the city said he had gotten it for the garage, driveway, and landscaping
. Either the city really messed up or this guy overstepped his permitting and came back later and did a lot of this additional PVC piping.
The city is saying because we are private property they don't have to do anything. I told the city we are on city sewer on our road even though it was private the city had access to it because all of the neighbors on our road had the city to put in city sewer 5 years ago.
The neighbor in question is to the back of our property and not on our street.
This neighbor could have drained all of this excess water to the front of his property and had a sump pump to pump it out to his 1/2 acre in front of his property where his road has 2 city large French drains and not directed to our property.
Clearly the city is involved and this neighbor had definitely over stepped.
The city is coming out Friday morning could you give me some advice?
We are due to have major weather problems this year in FL. Three rainfalls have caused done all of this. We will be underwater with hurricane rain and wind.
Please give me direction about the cities responsibility, neighbors responsibility and maybe even my homeowners Insurance getting involved. I have already written a lengthy email to two city officers with code compliance. Do I go downtown and bring all these pictures and try to get them involved?
I recently got flood insurance. I do not live in a flood zone and have never had flooding until now and let me also mention my next door neighbor is involved in this water problem from this neighbor.
Water is like a river flowing through my back yard to her property.
In my yard there are areas up to my knees.