Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I am a licensed contractor in the state of California. I recently

I am a licensed contractor in the state of California. I recently did a bid on repairs to a house that is in escrow. The homeowner brought in, in full knowledge of the licensed real estate agent, an unlicensed contractor to do the repairs instead. Is there anything that I can do about this?

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.

RayAnswers :

You can file a complaint against the unlicensed contractor here.This is considered to be a threat to the public health and safety.

RayAnswers :

You can file here.

RayAnswers :

I would also file a complaint here against the realtor.Helping the seller here use unlicensed contractors may be investigated and he may be sanctioned as well here.

RayAnswers :

There may be some serious consequences to both the unlicensed contractor and the realtor if you will file complaints and have them investigated.

RayAnswers :

They would also have potential liability to the buyer.

RayAnswers :

You may also want to check with the municipality here they probably lack permits if required.That may be a real deal stopper.

RayAnswers :

You woudl have

RayAnswers :

the right to report them on this angle too.

RayAnswers :

Again its bad business and it hurts legitimate contractors here.

RayAnswers :

It is in your interests here to have

RayAnswers :

the unlicensed folks fined and other repercussions.

RayAnswers :

They are trying to cheat the system and should be shut down here.

RayAnswers :

You would also have option to let buyer know these were unlicensed repairs, buyer might consider a civil suit as well here.

RayAnswers :

It has been my pleasure to assist you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

RayAnswers :

I appreciate the chance to help you.

Customer:

Good morning Ray. the real estate agent says that because the seller hired the unlicensed contractor, she is not liable.

RayAnswers :

Let the state determine that.Report her, she has knowledge of illegal repairs.She should be reporting them, to me she is professiona

RayAnswers :

lly liable here too.

RayAnswers :

And the buyer here sure has a claim for illegal claims and other damages, there would have been a failure to disclose this at closing as well.

RayAnswers :

The realtor has professional liability and likely personal liability to the buyer.

RayAnswers :

You stop this kind of stuff by reporting it , the state will investigate and take action.

RayAnswers :

There's some pretty steep fines and realtors license is at risk.

RayAnswers :

Oh yeah one more here you can report the illegal contractor he likely doesn't have comp coverage either.

Customer:

I have already gone to the cslb regarding this contractor, and they got him to take his sign off his truck for a while, but that is all. i even sent them a picture of his illegal alien helper standing in water using a 120 volt power tool but they did not do anything. I am figuring there must be a real estate disclosure law being violated. anyway, the sale is still in escrow.

RayAnswers :

Don't give up.Keep complaining.Sometimes you have to be persistent.Report the realtor.

RayAnswers :

You can report the illegal contractor to Det.Ind.Relations for not having wc coverage as well.

RayAnswers :

Please don't give up reporting this to the state.Eventually you will get results.

RayAnswers :

I appreciate the chance to help.I am sure that this is frustrating for you.

RayAnswers :

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer:

Ray, thank you.

RayAnswers :

You are so welcome.Have a great day.

RayAnswers :

If you can leave a positive rating it is much appreciated.Take care.

Customer:

will this chat be emailed to me?

RayAnswers :

Yes once you rate they will email a complete copy for your records.Thanks.