Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

Years ago i purchased a two story building, commercial space

Years ago i purchased a two story building, commercial space 1st floor, 2nd apt..The 1st fl was being used as an office with apt in back..With full kitchen and full bathroom with shower..I turned the entire 1st fl into a hair salon leaving kitchen and bathroom in tack!..I for health reasons had to retire and rented my space as is equipment and all to someone in the same profession..They sign a lease and gave 2 months security deposit..During there stay they asked me if they could make some changes to the bathroom & kitchen...I said yes but it has to be put back to original when you leave they agreed and it was verbal..They remove the shower in bathroom and faucets & removed the kitchen sink & faucets & use it as a waiting room...If they don't put back to the original can i have the work done and deduct it from security deposit!! Chicago,Il
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for submitting your question to Just Answer. You asked: If they don't put back to the original can i have the work done and deduct it from security deposit!! Chicago,Il The answer is Yes. The purpose of the security deposit is to guarantee that the property is returned in the same condition as it was when leased. At least in at least as good or better. The agreement to return the property to it's original condition is contained in the lease. Your tenant might argue that you gave permission for the alteration, but it is not in writing and therefore not enforceable against the terms of a written lease.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.