Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience

My parents own their own land and have allowed me to build

My parents own their own land and have allowed me to build a storage unit on their property. Do they technically own the shed even though I paid for it?
Dear JACUSTOMER - This depends on whether the shed is a permanent structure on a foundation or slab rather than some type of removable structure. Whenever anything is added to real estate that is permanently affixed it becomes part of the real estate. Verbal agreements are not enforceable in real estate matters so whatever you agreed on would not be relevant as to whether the structure belonged to the real estate or was simply a portable unit that could be removed. So I can't specifically answer your question but usually something like a storage shed is a permanent rather than portable structure so my guess is that it belongs to the real estate. The contents would be your property as that is separate from the structure.