Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Whats the recommended practice for a landlord of a 2 unit

What's the recommended practice for a landlord of a 2 unit duplex to perform background checks / credit verification? I'd like the answer to have a few references of places to perform the checks with attention to cost / performance benefits. Should I get unlimited checks for a month? One by one? Have a service perform this for me? Pros - cons will help.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Kirk Adams : The best option is to search for BBB accredited agencies in your area or any online that are BBB rated.
Kirk Adams : Unless you're changing renters often, it's probably best just to pay for the service each time you need a check instead of paying a subscription.
Kirk Adams : These reports usually can be purchased for less than $50.
Kirk Adams : $25-$30 is normal.
Kirk Adams : I can't make a direct referral, but if you do an online search, you can find one that does this work in your area.
Customer: Well, I didn't really get much 'advice' pertaining to my question points. Are you not free to provide recomendations? Is there some ancillary information that can help?
Kirk Adams : No, we're not allowed to make direct referrals or recommendations for service providers.
Kirk Adams : All
Kirk Adams : I can only suggest that you search for background services that are BBB accredited.
Kirk Adams : As I said, there is likely no reason to sign up for unlimited checks if you only have 2 units. Instead, you can order a check whenever you have a new tenant apply for a vacant space.
Kirk Adams : Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.
Roger, Lawyer
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.