Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Whats the recommended practice for a landlord of a 2 unit

What's the recommended practice for a landlord of a 2 unit duplex to perform background checks / credit verification? I'd like the answer to have a few references of places to perform the checks with attention to cost / performance benefits. Should I get unlimited checks for a month? One by one? Have a service perform this for me? Pros - cons will help.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Kirk Adams : The best option is to search for BBB accredited agencies in your area or any online that are BBB rated.
Kirk Adams : Unless you're changing renters often, it's probably best just to pay for the service each time you need a check instead of paying a subscription.
Kirk Adams : These reports usually can be purchased for less than $50.
Kirk Adams : $25-$30 is normal.
Kirk Adams : I can't make a direct referral, but if you do an online search, you can find one that does this work in your area.
Customer: Well, I didn't really get much 'advice' pertaining to my question points. Are you not free to provide recomendations? Is there some ancillary information that can help?
Kirk Adams : No, we're not allowed to make direct referrals or recommendations for service providers.
Kirk Adams : All
Kirk Adams : I can only suggest that you search for background services that are BBB accredited.
Kirk Adams : As I said, there is likely no reason to sign up for unlimited checks if you only have 2 units. Instead, you can order a check whenever you have a new tenant apply for a vacant space.
Kirk Adams : Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.