Okay, this is why you are a lawyer and I am not.
1. We gave them the date of August 1, 2013, at noon to vacate the premises. I understand now that we COULD have given them 30 days because we do not live in Baltimore or Montgomery County.
2. We do not have to amend that to 30 days. We know that because of their limited income it may take them longer to find a place anyway so this is truly to their advantage.
3. We would never put them out on the street but my husband is concerned that if they pay us June's rent, and they leave June 15, 2013, then we would have to pay them back for 15 days. What you are saying is that is not the case right.
4. Do they have to give us written notice as well? What if they do not give us notice that they are leaving?
5. So I have a delivery confirmation number indicating that they received the termination notice May 16, 2013, but you indicate that the date does not start until the following day right?
6. Essentially the earliest they could move out is June 30, 2013? or would it be the 17th of June with them then paying us for 17 days in June?
7. How many days do we have to return their security deposit? I found one place that says 30 days and another that says 45 days?
8. Because everything was so dirty and I cleaned up the unit, vacuuming, removing trash and food from under furniture, etc., can I deduct this time from their security deposit. Yes our intent was to just fix the wall, but then it was like how could you walk away from the smell, food on the floor? Since we had the carpets all professionally cleaned when they moved in, who is responsible for paying to have them cleaned when they leave especially since this was "not your normal" wear and tear. This was pure dirt.
9. Should I just have left it until they came home and let them take care of it? I suppose it was easier for me to take care of the issues as I knew they would not as one of the tenants is not even speaking to us because while they were away, I texted to find out when they would be back so that we knew that all of the spackling, priming, and painting was done.
10. One of the tenants was upset because I indicated to them that we needed to speak with them about the apartment
when they returned.
11. I am sure you are tired as am I. Once you answer these questions for me and if I have more, can I contact you again? Do I have to pay again especially since it will be within the next 2 days.