Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

My boyfriend and I would like to live together. He is 71 and

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I would like to live together. He is 71 and divorced. I am 63 and both widowed and divorced. I do not want to get married again. I have the assets, and he basically has none other than his social security. I work full time and own a condominium with a mortgage. He wants me to give him a life tenancy agreement so that if I predecease him, my daughter (I have one adult child) cannot force him to move. Also, he wants me to leave him enough money to pay the mortgage, property tax, and condo fee until he can get back into section 8 housing where he now resides. He wants 2-3 years money from me to do this, because he couldn't pay the mortgage and his other bills on his income. I don't know if this is in my interest to do this, or if it's okay. Although, I don't believe he wants my assets, he wants me to protect him from being evicted in the case of my death and time to get back into the housing where he now lives. When my mother dies I will inherit comfortable assets and will be able to pay off my mortgage which will take care of the problem of having a mortgage to pay. She is presently in excellent health, by the way! Is the life tenancy the way to satisfy his concerns? I love him, but I don't feel I owe this much to him. He wants it to say that if I decide not to continue with him, I have to pay him 2-3 years of living expenses. Are these customary terms? I am unfamiliar with any of this, and because of this I am reluctant to agree. Is it common for people to enter into such agreements? Thank you very much, Melinda Driscoll
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. These requests are absolutely ridiculous. You do not want to give him any of these. He's not bringing anything to the table and there is no reason for you to commit to anything beyond what is happening right now. If you were to give him this stuff, and you break up tomorrow for whatever reason, he's entitled to this. I would let him know that you're happy to live with him and as long as you are together you are happy to pay the bills and let him live in your condominium, but that you are absolutely not going to commit to something that goes beyond the commitment of your relationship.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

So giving him a life tenancy is not reasonable? I thought the part where he wants me to give him money to live on (if we break up) while he tries to get back into his public housing situation was excessive. I love him and don't want to break up, but since I can't read the future, I don't want to be trapped in a legal situation I can't extract myself from.

Melinda

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for following up. It is unreasonable. Let's say you give him the life tenancy and then, for whatever reason, you break up in 6 months....then you can't get him out and you can't sell the property. You're stuck with either him staying there or paying him to get him out. That is simply a position you don't want to find yourself in. He's bringing nothing to the table and is getting a free place to live. If he insists upon this, in my opinion, you want to take a hard look at what's more important to him...you or your money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hadn't thought of that scenario.

Thank you for your advice.

Melinda Driscoll

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome....it's been my pleasure to help! And, I'm so glad you contact me before you did this. Most of the time I only get contact after it's happened and the relationship has not gone well and the person is wondering how in the world to get out of it. Have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have a beautiful relationship, and it is troubling to me that he requires a legal document to come live with me.

Anyway, thank you very much.

Melinda Driscoll

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for following up. I totally understand...and I wish I could advise you otherwise. And, it's up to you as to what you decide; but I feel a duty to at least give you unbiased legal advice so you can make an informed decision. I know it's difficult! I will certainly keep you in my prayers!
Richard, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did forget to mention one thing. He is going to contribute to the cost of paying the house bills, but I imagine your answer will be the same. Melinda

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for following up. Yes, unfortunately, it would be. I would not recommend you contractually commit to be obligated to anything that binds you beyond the time that you are together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Have a great day!