Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

I allowed a friend to live in my home. She gives me $50 a

I allowed a friend to live in my home. She gives me $50 a week toward the cable bill.
Now after a few disputes I want her to leave and she refuses. What can I do to get
her out of my home?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Can you tell me in what state you are located? Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. You can get her out, but you must be careful to follow the procedure I am providing you so you don't get accused of conducting an illegal eviction. Even though there is no lease and if a person is intended to be just a guest, after that person has been in occupancy for more than a couple of weeks, that person becomes an "at will" tenant. Such a person is deemed to be a month to month tenant. As such, you can terminate this tenancy by giving written notice of at least 30 days. If the tenant does not leave voluntarily, under Pennsylvania law, you will then need to give a 15-Day Notice to Quit...meaning she must vacate the premises within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if she still has not left, you will have to file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is can have the sheriff evict. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to move her stuff out, change the locks, or take any other means of "self-help" eviction prior to obtaining the eviction order. In the interim, if he poses any threat to your person or property, you can get a restraining order to get him out of the house immediately while the eviction process runs its course.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could say you could just boot her out without going through this process, but, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you this is actually good news. I can tolerate 30 days.

You're's my pleasure to be able to help! Have a great day!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!