Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience

In Delaware, if my neighbors huge tree limbs fall down onto

In Delaware, if my neighbor's huge tree limbs fall down onto my property, whose responsibility is it to haul them off?
Dear JACUSTOMER - In the case of natural growth the rule is that you have a right to cut or remove any growth on or over your property.The owner of the tree is not responsible for trimming the tree since it is natural vegetation. An exception might be if the neighbor causes the limbs to fall onto your property due to work the neighbor performs on the tree but if the limbs just fall due to nature then you would have to remove them at your expense. As I said above, you have a right to cut or trim any growth on or above your property so it may be worthwhile to have the entire portion of the overhanging tree trimmed to avoid future problems with falling limbs.