Real Estate Law
Ask a Real Estate Law Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Good afternoon Theresa,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.In this latest rental period that you negotiated--the one which is supposed to end on the 6th---how long was that renewal term for? How may weeks or months?Doug
We were trying to be out by May 1st, and they agreed to extend it until the 6th. I know that we will be out by 5/15 at the latest as we are planning a cross country move to help out my Mom in CA & it's important that we get there asap.
They wanted us to vacate on 5/1 originally so that they could come & do renovations, etc. This is why I asked them for at least the 10th or something, figuring we could have movers put our things in storage & just stay in a hotel until the freight car was dropped at our storage unit for the move to CA.
Now they are telling us that they have it rented again already for the day after we move out on 5/6 and that is why they need us out.
I hope this helps & I greatly appreciate your swift & compassionate reply.
I see...thank you. I simply need to quickly look through the email thread & I will get right back to you...15mins or less.
On 3/1 we renegotiated via email (again no lease) and both agreed upon 5/1 as the move out date. The only other negotiation after that was changing from 5/1 to 5/6 in the hopes that I would get better quickly. That is not happening & my husband is disabled to the point that he has not driven in 2 years and cannot do any type of manual labor. We have a handicap tag on our car & can prove his disability.
I did keep all communications to email so that I would have written proof of all conversations. We were dealing with the husband most of the time and now it's the wife (not very easy with her). She's staying in the area & upon me asking for 5/6 she called up saying she was "coming over here." I told her I felt that it was an intimidation tactic, then she got ugly saying "then I will just have to give you your 24hr notice to vacate." I was able to finally calm her down over the phone. After that her husband contacted me via email saying that he was trying to help us out by extending the time until 5/15. Unfortunately, then the wife replied to us saying that it had to be 5/6 as renters were coming the next day. It's been a lot of back and forth & I know we've inconvenienced them, however have offered to pay more for the extra time & to pay for a maid ourselves to do the final cleaning.
I'm sorry if this is more info than you need.
No, what this means is that you will have to be evicted through the traditional process, which generally will take 2 to 4 weeks. Presuming that you pay monthly, and as a holdover tenant---one who stays beyond the lease date---you must first be served with a 7 Day Notice of Termination of Tenancy. After that time, the landlord may file for eviction in court and that process will take a while as well.
So, as long as you plan top be gone by the middle of the month--I see little that the landlord can legally do about you holding over until then. You will of course be obligated to pay rent---but you can not legally be forced out. Here is a link to a brief explanation of the eviction process required under NC law:
You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction. Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed. I wish you the best in 2013,Doug
Doug, you are a lifesaver! I've never used this site or anything like this, but it's more YOU that I want to thank! For whatever reason you do this, you are a true blessing!!!
I haven't looked at the links yet, but will in just a moment. Am I safe to think that they also cannot turn off the utilities even though they are in their name?
I hate to do business this way, but it looks as if we'll have no choice. Maybe once they realize they will have to evict us, they will just work it out with us.
ps: I'm originally from Long Beach, CA and my Grandmother had a real estate business called "Bixby Knolls Realty". Her name isXXXXX She is also one of the reasons I'm moving back home. I'm an only child and my Mom has been taking care of my G'ma who has has Alzheimer for some time now. They really need my help. I was just wondering if her name sounded familiar to you?
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).