ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

I rent a basement apartment in Virginia and the landlord lives

I rent a basement apartment in Virginia and the landlord lives on the upper level of the house with her 2 adult kids, I think one of them is dealing or at least doing drugs up there. can I be in trouble with the law if this is true and could I be arrested to? there is a lock on the door to the upstairs and I have my own entrance in the basement, I never go up to the other part of the house. thank you for any help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

ScottyMacESQ :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacESQ :

No, you can't get in trouble for someone else's criminal actions unless you "aid" and/or "abet" (encourage, assist) someone to commit that crime.

ScottyMacESQ :

Criminal liability is not "vicarious" (that is, it doesn't attach to non-guilty parties).

ScottyMacESQ :

Now it's possible that if they are stashing drugs in your living area, that you could be hit with "constructive" possession (that is, they can't prove that they're yours, but since it's closest to you, you could potentially get slammed with that)... So it's a good idea to check all the hiding spaces and other places where you're renting to see if that's even a possibility. But assuming they don't enter your living area, then the fact that they're dealing is not going to get you in trouble.

ScottyMacESQ :

Only if you actually take some action that assists them in their criminal activities would you have to worry.

ScottyMacESQ :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

Thank you so much for you help, I do feel better about that, no one comes in unless I am home but I will also do a search to be sure. you were a great help

ScottyMacESQ :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas