KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.

Is a 99 year land lease binding in the state of PA with just

Is a 99 year land lease binding in the state of PA with just signatures. We leased land and the man that leased it passed away. His family has no problems with us camping on this land since he was paid. The adjoining property owner does not accept the lease and is making things diffuicult. he has even had his land surveyed to show our gated entry is no longer accessible. He had alresdy stated that our camper is on the land.
Yes, your lease is valid. As long as it has all the relevant terms, like the price, party names, etc.

I think you should go to the registry of deeds in the county where the property is located and see if you can get the lease recorded on the title. This will put the world on notice of your interest and then the neighbor can no longer bother you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please do not rank my answer until we finish discussing.

· This is my full-time job, not a hobby. If you do not “ACCEPT” my answer, or rate my service “Poor” or “Bad”, the system will keep all of your money and I will not get paid.

· My answer is meant to help educate you about the law, and I promise to give you the best answer possible.

· I will receive only half of the amount that you pay for your question. Multiple accepts or tips are greatly appreciated.

· If I do not reply immediately I might be offline or working with another customer. Please be patient, I will get back to you quickly!

· Please note that even if my answer is not what you were hoping for, I have given you a complete answer and can not control if the law is against you. A favorable rating would be appreciated.

· If you don’t accept my answer, or give me a poor or bad rating, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive no credit or payment for my work with you.

To request me in the future, please start your question with "To KimberlyLaw".
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told that a 99 year lease is treated differently in PA and is almost like a sale. The man that wrote the lease was caretaker for his mother. One attorney said the lease is binding. I am hearing from other people no way. Under these circumstances and after spending $5000. am I ok to stay on the land? Must I have someone from the man's family go to the county . I doubt they will .They have no problem with us being there. We paid the taxes so it would not go to sheriff's sale. They do not want to deal with the problems.

I can't find anything that states that the lease requires something additional in PA to be legal. The best you can do is get it filed on record with the registry of deeds.

You don't need the family to do that, you can do it on your own since your lease is in your name.