Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I signed a 12-month lease in Fulton County, GA at a rental

Customer Question

I signed a 12-month lease in Fulton County, GA at a rental house. 3 months in (4/15) receive letter stating the house will be sold. Options are stay until sold and I get 30-day notice, or terminate lease early. On 4/17 I say I am looking for new place and will terminate 5/15. They say ok. On 4/18 I secured a new rental for 5/1. I inform them, they say ok and send me a lease termination, i sign return. 4/20 they say no, we must abide by the "30-day notice" and you must pay rent through May 15. Question: If not written in lease, and they give me an option to terminate early, am I required to give THEM 30-days notice?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The landlord or new landlord cannot terminate a valid written lease, regardless of what they state. They could give you an option to terminate early and you signed it, then you are bound by the terms of the agreement you signed. Yes, you would have to honor the 30 day agreement and while you could move out early, you would have to honor the payment until May 15, because you signed an agreement to that effect.

Had you signed no agreements, you could have forced them to actually pay you to leave, because your lease was valid until the end of the 12 months and the new owner could not force you to leave and had to honor that lease (for future information) unless it was a foreclosure.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot find anywhere written that I am to provide them a 30-day notice. They offered me $1000 in moving expenses, the early termination letter only says tenant must pay rent through the lease end date (4/30). There is no mention of any notice. I had originally told them it would be the 5/15, then changed the date to coincide with my move-in. Once they had that signed document (only my signature) did they change their minds saying that they would deduct the 15 days from the moving expense money if I didnt sign a new contract through 5/15. (There were no deposits)

It is not written in the law because you had a 1 year lease, but you said you signed an agreement to be out in 30 days and once you signed that agreement that is what you bound yourself to. If you signed only to agree to pay until 4/30 and if you are out by 4/30, then they could not enforce the agreement to pay until 5/15 against you and if they try to do so then you have grounds to sue them for breach of the new agreement you signed to terminate the lease.