Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

My mother granted a quitdeed with life estate on her home in

Customer Question

My mother granted a quitdeed with life estate on her home in Illinois in 1999. In 2005 my wife and I filed bankruptcy and gave $1000 to the bankruptcy judge in compromise on the property and have a copy of that document. I have also been granted power of attorney since the bakruptcy. My mother has continued to pay all bills for the home. We recently got a home equity loan to fix up the property in preparation of selling it as mom has dementia and lives with us in our home. In closing the loan I
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Just to clarify....is the recorded title currently held as your mother holding a life estate and you owning the remainder interest? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you still there?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm waiting for your reply to my information request.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did I thought but anyway here is answer the quit deed was filed with the county taxing authority in 1999 I just called them Monday

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for following up. And, I apologize for the fact your prior response somehow got lost in the internet world.

The house will not be at risk to be taken by Medicaid should your mother need nursing care. A transfer of the residence with a retained life estate is only subject to the sixty month look-back period for determining eligibility for purposes of Medicaid nursing home care. Since the transfer of the remainder interest was transferred by quit claim deed in 1999, you are outside of the 60 month look-back period and thus the house is no longer at risk to be considered in determining her eligibility.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

even though the closing papers on home equity loan were signed only by her?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The loan does not dictate title. Title is based upon recorded deeds. If the recorded deed indicates that the remainder interest was transferred to you in 1999, you are the owner of the remainder interest. and that's the date of transfer.