Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I live in Holly, Mi. on a private road that has a total of

Customer Question

I live in Holly, Mi. on a private road that has a total of three residents, the road is maintained by the residents. There is vacant property at the end of the road that is used/ abused by people hunting there that do not own the property. These people use our road to access the property, I called the state police more than once but their responce is the property owners have to call. The owners of the property are difficult to contact when the trspassers are on their property.
There is an undeveloped easement 20 feet north of our private road that was put in place for the vacant property. They use our road for convenience and inflict damage that has to be repaired by the residents.
We have private road signs posted but this is no deterent.
We have thought about placing a gate at the end of the road but were not sure how emergency vehicles could come down the road.
We have also thought about having vehicles towed at the owners expense but were not sure we have the right to do so.
What rights do we have to limit our road to residents and invited guests only?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the road is private, then you can indeed gate the road, but you do run into the problem of emergency access unless you use an electronic gate where each owner has a gate code which would allow them to give the code to emergency responders or open the gate from their homes. This would resolve the gate issue and allow you to use a gate system.

You can also post all of the property and road that the property is private and all unauthorized vehicles will be towed at the owner's expense. This sign needs to be prominently displayed all through the property as notice to those coming onto the property uninvited. As long as you display notice on your private property about trespassing and towing, you would legally be allowed to tow the cars from the property. The fact that the road is private, you can call the state police and not just tell them people are on the vacant lot, but that they are trespassing on your private road and other private property, so you can press charges for that trespassing without the owner of the vacant lot calling personally.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.