Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

A neighbors prescriptive driveway easement location is resulting

Customer Question

A neighbors prescriptive driveway easement location is resulting in damages to my land & property. Can I regrade this area to prevent further property damages or midigate damages to my property? The old easement runs through a natural seasonal drainage basin collecting water & redistributing it onto my gravel roadbed causing yearly road repairs,excessive erosion,road damages,rutting,fence & gate damages. If I do not interfere with this easement,can I repair this area & regrade it to prevent or midigate further property damage?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You have a right to repair or maintain your property where the easement is located as long as you do not permanently impair the use of the easement. If the easement is impaired temporarily for repairs, this is permissible. You can make your repairs to the easement to protect your property and improve the easement as well and it is acceptable legally and you should provide written notice to your dominant estate owner (easement holder) that repairs are taking place and the approximate time it will take to make the repairs.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”