Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

We were approached by a RE agent in Los Angeles, CA who offered

Customer Question

We were approached by a RE agent in Los Angeles, CA who offered to find an apartment to rent, and said that the fee will be paid by the landlord. not by us.

he found a suitable apartment and signed a 1-year lease we negotiated via the agent. Now the agent says that the landlord has accepted our offer and the signed lease is on its way, but in the mean time he wants us to also sign two "addendae" which he says are required by his agency. One states that should we buy the apartment from the lAndlord, we would pay the RE agent's commission. The other states that should the lease be extended for further period after the one year term, we would also pay the RE agent commission.

We were never informed about these requirements by the RE agency, and it seems that the agent is delaying the sending of the signed lease until we agree.

We feel we should not be singing this agenda, and the agent is not entitled to these fees. Please coment.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thanks for posting this question with us. I agree with you. The real estate agent should have presented those items when s/he was first hired. It is improper to inject them into the deal after the fact. Also, lease renewal commissions are normally paid by the owner/landlord, not the tenant. The real estate commission proposal is totally off the wall. Why would anyone agree to that? You should tell the agent to bring you the lease in 24 hours or you will go to the landlord yourself and then to the local real estate board with a complaint, in that order. I hope this Answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating. If you have any follow up questions please send back a Reply. You should consult a local attorney to verify that this information is accurate for your state. Thank you for using Pearl.com- Just Answer. We appreciate your business.

Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just realized - I cannot go to the landlord, as I do not know who it is. I did not get back the signed lease in which the landlord was supposed to fill in his address (it is a trust of some sort). Can I go the landlord's RE agent and ask for the signed lease?

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if your agent is now refusing to deliver a signed lease to you, then go to the landlord's agent and tell him/her what is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
I'll stand by. No need to reply to this.