RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I signed a lease on Saturday at 4 p.m. and gave them a deposit

I signed a lease on Saturday at 4 p.m. and gave them a deposit of $900. My current landlord now states I can stay another year. Do I have 72 hours to get out of a lease?
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, unless the lease agreement you signed has such a cancellation policy, the answer would be no. Many people mistakenly believe there is an automatic three day right to cancel contracts that they enter into, but that actually is not the case. Such a policy only applies in very limited circumstances, such as for timeshares, or a sales agreement signed in your home (e.g., a door to door salesman shows up and sells you a vacuum cleaner).

There is no such cancellation policy on a lease agreement in Indiana (or any state that I am aware of) though again, a landlord can put such a provision in their agreement - doubtful, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Here is a little more information on the 3 day cancellation period in Indiana.