Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  Mediator, part of the Ohio Save the Dream Foreclosure project

Landlord/Tenant Law in MD My understanding is that the main

Landlord/Tenant Law in MD

My understanding is that the main purpose of filing a failure to pay rent case is to regain possession of the property through eviction. If the judge awards judgement, I can regain possession through eviction. My confusion is with the owed rent amount. My understanding is that it may be possible to get a monetary judgment through the failure to pay rent case. Or, you could get the monetary judgement for owed rent through a separate small claims case. I would love to simply get the monetary judgment through the failure to pay rent case, all in one case. What needs to be done to get a monetary judgment of owed rent through the failure to pay rent case?

Thank you for choosing just answer.

The method of service controls whether or not you may request money damages at the same time possession is obtained in the eviction action. If the service of the complaint is such that the complaint is only posted on the premises the action can only be for possession. Usually, the Sheriff will just post the complaint for possession at the property. The tenant is not physically served the complaint.

If however personal service is obtained where the tenant is physically served with the complaint which contains a request for money damages as well as possession of the property the money damages claim can be heard and decided at the same time as the claim for possession.

If you found this answer useful please ACCEPT my answer; press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.