Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My boyfriend bought a home and I lived there with him; this

My boyfriend bought a home and I lived there with him; this is my legal address. I went away for a weekend and came home to find out not only had he been cheating on me, but moved the other girlfriend into our home! I then had to leave and go back 2 weeks later to collect my belongings that I told them not to touch but they had thrown everything in bags and boxes. I bought all the furniture for the house and paint/supplies because this place was intended on us living there once we were married. I now have no formal residence and want the money for the things I bought; taking the furniture is not an option as I don't have a stable home now. Can I collect money for the purchases? Do I have any legal right to have the new girlfriend removed from the house since that was my legal residence?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, and I'm sorry to hear for your trouble

If you don't own the house, and if you're not a tenant (pay rent), you don't have any right to take any action against the new girlfriend as to her living in the property because it's not your home and you have no property rights under the law.

However, you are entitled to recover all of your property in the home. You can't force your boyfriend to buy the items from you, but you can demand that he pay you for them or turn them over. If he will not pay you for the items, you can recover them and try to sell the property.

If he will not purchase the items from you and if he will not release the items to you, then you could sue for trespass to chattles/conversion and get a court order requiring him to turn over your property to you.

Either way you can either have him buy the property or you can get the property back yourself and sell it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not pay rent but I did pay certain utility bills for the home; does this impact if I have legal rights to the home or not?

No, it's not likely. If you don't have a written lease agreement, and if you didn't pay rent every month, then here would be no property rights.