Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

There was storm damage earlier this year. Windows were broken,

There was storm damage earlier this year. Windows were broken, new carpet is needed. Also, some old flooring needs replacing (not due to storm). Can this be done before appraisal or after? I am thinking about capital gains taxes and the laws.
Hi - thanks for looking me up again.

Capital gains are not taxed unless the gain is more than $250,000. So this usually isn't a problem. Also, maintenance on the property will not likely make a lot of difference to the overall value of the property.

If you wait until probate is opened, you should also be able to use the estate funds to make repairs to the home, but you will have to get the court's permission to use the funds.