Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

IF YOU PAY THE TAX CERTIFICATES ON A PROPERTY,5 YEARS, FOR

IF YOU PAY THE TAX CERTIFICATES ON A PROPERTY,5 YEARS, FOR A PROPERTY THAT HAS A PERSON LIVING ON IT FOR OVER A YEAR WHO IS CLAIMING ADVERSE POSSESION--BUT HAS NOT PAID TAXES,CAN THAT PERSON BE EVICTED AND THEN COMENCE TO OCCUPY THE PROPERTY AND CLAIM ADVERSE POSSESION? HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE IN FL. TO GET LEGAL TITLE?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon. In
Florida, to claim adverse possession, the duration of such possession under color of title is seven (7)
years. To claim real estate by adverse
possession without color of title, a person must have possession for a period of
seven (7) years and pay the assessed taxes. Color of
title means a claim to title which on its face appears to support a person's
claim to title, but is fact defective and therefore fails in establishing title
to the real estate. Examples would be:
i) a deed whose execution was defective or is in question; ii) a claim arising
from another person's Last Will and Testament, or iii) two or more persons have
received separate deeds to the same parcel of real estate.

So, at this point, only the true owner would have the right to cause anyone to be evicted. Once the party paying taxes for the 5 years has paid taxes for 2 more years, then that party can claim ownership by adverse possession and force the other party to be evicted.

I hope this has given you information that has been
helpful to you. If the information seems more general than specific, please be
aware that we are only allowed to provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please
remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my
answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.
If you need additional clarification on this
question, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what
I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.
Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather
it is simply general information. All
states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply
information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it
constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an
attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to
you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
EVEN IF I PAY THE 5 YEAR TAXES, I CAN NOT EVICT HIM? HE COULD STAY FOR AT LEAST 2 MORE YEARS.,OR MORE, IF HE PAYS SUBSEQUENT TAX YEARS. IT WOULD COME DOWN TO JUST BUYING TAX CERTIFICATES.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

You can contact the true owner and attempt to purchase the property directly from the actual owner. Otherwise, I can only provide the rules on adverse possession. I wish they were different. You might want to prepay the taxes so that the other party cannot beat you to it.

Richard, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.