J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience and training in real estate matters.

I purchased a property in Jan 2011 via a 1031 exchange of a

I purchased a property in Jan 2011 via a 1031 exchange of a property I had owned since 1993. I sold the Jan 2011 property in June 2011. Is the property sold in June 2011 considered a short term sale, or is it considered a long term sale in regard to Schedule D since the original property was purchased in 1993.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 4 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

The subsequent sale would be a short-term capital gain.

J.Hazelbaker :

The holding period does not related back to the date of purchase of the prior property. The 1031 shielded your long-term capital gains on that original property, but does not cover the second property purchases with those proceeds.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.