J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience and training in real estate matters.

Hello. We are currently at the end of our lease as of March

Hello. We are currently at the end of our lease as of March 2012. In going month to month. We found another rental and have signed to move in April 01, 2012 with another real estate company. I put in written notice and it is short two weeks. So we are forfeiting our deposit of $1400. This is the second year we have rented from this company. The last house was left better than when we rented it. I had the carpets professionally shampooed and cleaned everything. I even took pictures of the last home. The refund on our security deposit then was about $200 after expenses for us cleaning it. They charged me for blinds for that home for the new tenants. We lived with those old blinds and did no damage. Their cleaning bill came back to us at $300+ dollars after it was spotless and was taken off our deposit. Now my worry is that they will charge us more on top of the $1400 we are forfeiting. I will take photos. They dont do walk throughs after with you. Should I make them?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Under Wyoming law, you can only be charged for cleaning, if you leave the property in a condition of cleanliness less than the condition it was in when you took position.

As for damage, you can only be charged for damages that you caused AND that exceed "normal wear-and-tear".

It is best practice to not only have a walk-through with the landlord/management entity, but also have a third-party (e.g. a friend) walk through with you.

Of course, photos and videos are also very important.

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience and training in real estate matters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I am guessing they don't do the walk through after so they can "charge" more. Can they charge me more or is it included in the security deposit that is forfeited ($1400) for terminating the month to month lease 2 weeks early????

They could charge you for more than the deposit, if the amount of the deposit was not enough to cover the unpaid rent and asserted charges. However, they would have to sue you.

However, if you have photos and video and a third-party witness, you should be covered. And, I would let them know that you have that evidence and will vigorously dispute any additional charge.