J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience and training in real estate matters.
15393114

Do I still have ownership in a proerty if someone wants me

Do I still have ownership in a proerty if someone wants me to sign a quit claim deed?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

No. Under Missouri law, as soon as you sign the quit claim deed and deliver it to the grantee, you cease to have ownership in the property.

A quit claim deed essentially says "I don't know what or how much of this property I own, but I give anything I do own to you".

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I find out how much of the property I own? This person will not tell me. I am afraid to give away something which I do not know.

You would need to contact the "Recorder of Deeds" in th county in which the property is located. They can search property records using your full name and they can assist you in a simply search of the current deed for the property to determine if you are on that deed.