Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience

Can a lawyer be disbarred for lying on a sworn document? A

Can a lawyer be disbarred for lying on a sworn document? A lawyer in my building submitted a notarized document stating that our coop was paying for her gut renovation, to the New York City Department of Buildings.

DearCustomer- I can't tell you that the lawyer would actually be disbarred but certainly this is a violation of a lawyer's code of ethics and can be reported to the Bar Association. I have included their website below for your convenience. You would need to send this in writing to the Bar Association and they will start an investigation. I can't tell you the outcome so all you can do is file the complaint and let the Bar Association handle it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are there legal options to just complaining to the disciplinary committee?
You can send a written letter to NY Department of Buildings. If you are somehow damaged financially by the false statement you can file a suit against the lawyer for the damages you suffered. Your question concerned whether she could be disbarred and the only place that can do that is the Bar Association and court system of NY.