Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

How much does it cost to put a lien on a house in the state

How much does it cost to put a lien on a house in the state of South Carolina?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.
What kind of lien are you referring to.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lien on a house. I loaned my sister money to buy a home in South Carolina and she moved from Ohio and now doesn't want to repay me. She is scheduled to receive some money from our Mother's inheritance [she passed away in July 2011]. I am hoping to recoup some of the $60,000.00 I loaned her from my CD I cashed in.

I live in Virginai but my other sister can process the paperwork for me in SC.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.

You cannot simply "put a lien" on someone's home. First you have to sue her for the money she owes you. When you obtain a court judgment against her, that will constitute a lien on any real estate in that she owns in the county where the judgment is rendered.

I have answered your question. Please click on ACCEPT so that I will be compensated. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you wish clarification of the answer, please send me a "Reply". If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you ACCEPT the answer to your first question before branching off into other new questions.
Also, this answer does not create an attorney client relationship and you are urged to consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this answer according to your state's laws and local customs and practice.