Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

my mortgage is not recorded in courthouse. am i still liab

my mortgage is not recorded in courthouse. am i still liable
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good morning. If they have the mortgage document, even though not recorded, you are still liable on the note. Not being recorded puts the lender at risk in terms of the priority of their lien because anything recorded before they record the mortgage has priority. If the lender, however, cannot produce the original documents, then they cannot enforce payment against you.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.