Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am trying to delay my foreclosure whtich is schedule for

Customer Question

I am trying to delay my foreclosure whtich is schedule for Jan 3, 2012. I need to have my 2010 taxes done first, which I have an extenstion. What can I do to delay the foreclosure for a month?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

The only sure way to delay a foreclosure is by filing bankruptcy. If you don't file bankruptcy, there's virtually nothing you can do to stop the lender from proceeding with the sale.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about these firms that advertise on the internet like veritrust and collegues in law that say they can delay a foreclosure?
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

These firms can't guarantee you that the foreclosure can be delayed. They can offer you the possibility of delaying the foreclosure, but they can't guarantee this will happen.

The only guaranteed way to delay a foreclosure is to file bankruptcy. If this is done, the automatic stay in the bankruptcy code goes into effect and prohibits the lender from pursuing you for the debt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can not file bankruptcy until my 2010 taxes are done. Any other ideas to stall for a month?

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, there's no way to guarantee delaying the foreclosure unless you were to file bankruptcy. It is possible to ask the lender to delay the foreclosure, to give you a forbearance agreement, etc., but you can't make the lender do this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is a forebearance agreement?
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
This is when a lender agrees to give you 6-12 months to get back on your feet by agreeing to allow the borrower to skip payments and forbear from foreclosing.