Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I live in New Mexico.I have a 19 foot trailer that I own on

Customer Question

I live in New Mexico.I have a 19 foot trailer that I own on a lot that I pay lot rent for owned by Youngs mobile homes.I pay $175. mo.for 3 yrs. now.No lease agreement on paper. Now that I wont sell my trailer&shed to them;and them knowing i've rented it out.Youngs is trying to make me sign a lease agreement for six mo.and up rent to $300 mo.I was not given a 30 day notice.and shouldn't the lease agreement be between my renters and youngs?Is it legal for them to do this? Sincerly,Sarah
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

The lease for the lot would have to be between the owner of the trailer and the lot owner. If you sell the trailer to the tenants, they would need to sign any new lease. Otherwise, you would need to sign the lease.

Also, you are correct that in a month to month rental arrangement, you must be given a 30 day notice of any rent increase under N.M. Stat Ann s 47-8-37. If the tenant tries to increase the rent without this much notice, it would not be legal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the tenant? I ment the owner of the property is raising my lot rent with out a 30 day notice.Im the owner of the trailer.He also back dated a certified letter of such notice 22 days which i had to sign for
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
If the notice is improper, you can refuse to accept the change as being in violation of the law. This would result in the land owner re-stating the 30 day notice.