Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

CREDITOR PUT A NEGATIVE ON MY CREDIT FOR THE DIFFERENCE THAT

CREDITOR PUT A NEGATIVE ON MY CREDIT FOR THE DIFFERENCE THAT THE HOUSE SOLD FOR BACK IN 2004. WHAT DO I DO?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I LIVE IN FLORIDA NOW. IT HAPPENED IN NC
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Under NC law, the lender has a right to seek a deficiency judgment against you for the amount remaining after the foreclosure sale.

However, the lender only has 3 years to sue, and after that, the debt is not collectible. Similarly, the deficiency can stay on your credit report for 7 years or until the statute of limitations has run on collecting the debt.

In either case, the listing on your credit would expire in 2011. Unless your home was foreclosed between now and the end of the year, the time has already expired.

Thus, you have a right to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and ask for help in getting this removed. Here's a link to the complaint you can file: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much!!!!
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
Sure. Glad to help. Please let me know if you need something else.