Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

In 2010 we bought a timeshare at Branson, Mo. (BlueGreen )

Customer Question

In 2010 we bought a timeshare at Branson, Mo. (BlueGreen ) They now have doubled our maint. fees ....we would like to get out of the TS....Have looked on line and found a Donate Timeshare, (Going to Wyatt Foundation) however we think this might be a scam, as well as the Timeshare people. They claim we can deduct this donation on our taxes. The donate TS people also claim we will be free of anymore obligation to the TS and they take it over completely.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is your question whether these representations are true?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, are these reps' legitimate or is the Donate a ATimeShare just another scam? And is there any other ways to get out of TS's. We underswtant that our TS is on going for life and if we ignore our maint,. fees they can sue for all we have.

ok, are you referring to www.timesharedonations.org?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The website for this donation was www.donatetimeshares.com... and they emphasise to use the "s"....
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is a legitimate affiliate of the wyatt foundation, the wyatt foundation is a registered 501c3 charity. For your reference, see http://www.irs.gov/app/pub-78/search.do?nameSearchTypeStarts=false&names=wyatt+foundation&nameSearchTypeAll=true&city=&state=ID&country=USA&deductibility=all&dispatchMethod=search&submitName=Search
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We do have follow-up questions....You mentioned www.donatetimeshares.com. Is it a legitamate company. If we decide to go with either of these, will we acturally get completely out from under the TS's. Thanks!

If you go with the company associated with the Wyatt Foundation, and there is nothing in your timeshare agreement prohibiting such a transfer, then yes you would be completely out of the TS liability.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks you for the answer: This company wants us to pay 3,000 plus to them to get us out of the TS so they can donate it to Wyatt foundation,. We also checked out a donatetimeshare.com and it was much cheaper.....and we would get a 499.00 tax credit...whereas, the timeshares.com (w the "s") said we would get back a 9K tax credit. Sounds fishy to us.....More input, please.
ok, I will look into this further. Though, as a rule of thumb you should never pay to donate a timeshare.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will wait for your further answer. Thank you.

I have not found anything definitive regarding either company and will open this up for other Experts to assist as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank You...there are dozens of these company 's out there.....I should think you folks would have had questions like this before. possibly your other experts have. We will wait for another answer.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.

Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. What specifically do you wish to know, as the expert was correct in his analysis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should we pay a fee for these company's to do all the paperwork to get one out of the TimeShares....You haven't told me, if these Donate company

's are legitamite.....and will acturally get a person out of the TimeShares.

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.

The charity seems legitimate and Wyatt Foundation is a registered 501c. However, you can double check yourself by calling Wyatt at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

So yes, the set up is legitimate.

Why do you have to pay for the timeshare to be donated? Because they are taking it off your hands. They are doing you a favor (so to speak) because otherwise, you have a burdensome property that you are not using but are responsible for.

Is it ethical for the site to do this? That is questionable. But it is legal. But they will take it off your hands, and it is legal. Wyatt foundation may have this different company do the work so as to ensure that Wyatt is following IRS guidelines to continue to have a non-profit status.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like to remain on-line until I have decided to accept answer....I feel so far, you have been most helpful....We are wondering why one donate timeshare is so much more expensive than another one....
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your kind words.

You can accept the answer at any time you wish. You may also follow up before or after the accept - your choice, of course.

As for the price difference? I cannot say. It is completely up to the market and the individuals/businesses that run it. Sorry, that is more of a philosophical question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So do you think these Donate Timeshare companies are on the up and up?

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
From what I can tell, yes. However, JustAnswer cannot give you a 100% guarantee. In the end, the choice is yours, of course.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.