Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

IM not able to rent my condo unit because the association

I'M not able to rent my condo unit because the association requires the tennant to pay the association $2000.00 deposit for the common area. Is this legal?. This unit is costing me $1800.00 per month I'M stress and loosing money. Thank you for your input.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

It is legal if the CC&Rs and the condo bylaws have put this in place. A lot of condo associations do not all the condo owners to lease out the condo at all. Yours appears to have adopted the middle of the road strategy by charging a high deposit amount to discourage renting to people with less to lose financially.

If you want to change this, you will have to read the CC&Rs and the bylaws and follow the process therein to make or call for an amendment. It usually requires a majority of the members to vote in favor of the change.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".