Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

I am the president of our condos HOA. If an owner stops paying

I am the president of our condo's HOA. If an owner stops paying his HOA dues, can we take action such as denying them services in the building. For example, the HOA pays for water, can we shut off their water? Also, the building has an intercom/entry system (which is not necessary, they can use their key). Can we deny them the intercom system? If we have a judgment against an owner in small claims, can we seize their car to satisfy the judgement? Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Per the law at the link above, you can have a lien on the condo which can be enforced by a non judicial foreclosure.

If you have a judgment, it can be enforced on the owner's "non exempt" property. This may or may not include the car depending on its value and what other exemptions the owner might take.

Shutting off water should only be done after you get a court order allowing you to do so, not before.

Since the intercom system is not a basic needs type item, you should be okay denying them that so long as you put them on notice that until they pay their dues, they will be denied that service.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".