Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

can a condo association take away my deeded parking space

Customer Question

can a condo association take away my deeded parking space and give it to a disabled man. We have a handicapped spot but it is far from his apt front.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Good evening. No....the parking space that was deeded to you belongs to you; it is not common area under the control of the association. If they need to relocate a handicapped space, they must either do so with common area or must pay you or someone else enough to purchase your space or exchange your space for another. They cannot legally do that unilaterally.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There was not a specific parking Space number in my deed
Instead the condo's declaration gave the sponsor the exclusive right to grant parking easements which he did.
Am I right that the parking space is deeded to me

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
If you do not have a specific space deeded to you, but you have an easement granted to you for that space, unless the declarations give the association the right to make that change unilaterally, then the association does not have that right.
Richard, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the answer .. What if the fair housing act and American disabilities act is on the condo associations back to pressure me to give up my space given to me by the sponsor .. With parking space numbers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
That's the association's problem not yours.