Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 13 years experience in civil law.
16823287

Hi, This question is for someone who has experience dealing

This question is for someone who has experience dealing with bed bugs in NYC.

I rent an apartment in NYC. I have a small but growing problem with bed bugs. My landlord wants to get an estimate on extermination and then have me pay for part of the costs because he thinks I am responsible for the bed bugs. Of course, since I live in the apartment I probably am responsible, but I don't know how anyone could prove that I am responsible. There are three units in the building. So far I am the only confirmed case of bed bugs. I am moving out in less than three weeks with the end of my lease. I am afraid that if I refuse to pay for the extermination or part of it that the landlord will attempt to keep my security deposit. Will this be recoverable in court if he does keep it?

Thanks so much!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Unfortunately,bed bugs are not considered a wear and tear item. Thus, as with any other damage caused by a resident, the LL may be able to charge the resident for the cost to treat the unit if it is determined that the resident is responsible for the infestation.

So, yes, there is a significant chance that he could keep all or part of your deposit.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.attorneysaccess.com/ or http://www.martindale.com/.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what about this? Please see below.

Sec. 27-2017 Definitions

When used in this article:

1. Eradication means the elimination of rodents or insects and other pests from any premises through the use of traps, poisons, fumigation or any other method of extermination.

2. Insects and other pests include the members of class insecta, including houseflies, lice, bees, cockroaches, moths, silverfish, beetles, bedbugs, ants, termites, hornets, mosquitoes and wasps, and such members of the phylum arthropoda as spiders, mites, ticks, centipedes and wood lice.

3. Harborage means any condition which provides shelter or protection for rodents or insects and other pests.

[back to top]

Sec. 27-2018 Rodent and insect eradication; mandatory extermination
  1. The owner or occupant in control of a dwelling shall keep the premises free from rodents, and from infestations of insects and other pests, and from any condition conducive to rodent or insect and other pest life.

2. When any premises are subject to infestation by rodents or insects and other pests, the owner or occupant in control shall apply continuous eradication measures.

3. When the department makes the determination that any premises are infested by rodents, insects or other pests, it may order such eradication measures as the department deems necessary.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you responding?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

You had opted me out, so I could not respond.

While I agree that the above statutes apply in general, the issue in your case is that the LL is claiming that you might be the cause of the infestation. This is why my answer says:

if it is determined that the resident is responsible for the infestation.

This would be an issue of fact for the jury or judge to decide based on expert witness testimony.

So basically compare your situation with that of a new tenant that is just moving in and find this bed bug problem.

Maverick, Lawyer
Experience: Over 13 years experience in civil law.