Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

My mother in-law just signed (in late May) a new lease on her

My mother in-law just signed (in late May) a new lease on her home that takes affect on July 1. The home needs many repairs and has no AC. She has just found another home in the same senior development for less money, more room and AC. Can she go back to her landloard and rescind the lease agreement?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Unfortunately not because it is a legally binding contract the day it is signed. She can give 60 days notice and the LL has a duty to act in good faith to re let the premises as soon as possible. He cannot collect double rent. So, he rents he premises out by July 1st then she may be not be liable for any unpaid rent. But, let's say that it takes till August 1st, then she will owe 1 month's rent.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".