How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4828
Experience:  Over 13 years experience in civil law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question is for Maverick. Thank you for your help today.

Customer Question

This question is for Maverick. Thank you for your help today. We filed the motion for stay and motion for new trial to vacate judgment just in time, although the court staff didn't seem familiar with the route we were taking. The small claims clerk of court asked us several times to produce the rules of procedure we were basing the motions on, etc. They were expecting an appeal. At any rate, we are depressed, because our frozen bank account has been zeroed as of today. It takes your breath away. What should be our next step? Could the judge possibly issue an order for the tenant not to spend what she just took from the account? Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


Okay, good. However, I did not know that you were in small claims court. That changes things a bit, but it should work in your favor. This would explain why the clerk did not know what you were doing.


First, make sure you get a hearing date on the motion for new trial that you filed. The hearing date should be BEFORE the date for your appeal time to expire if at all possible. The motion for new trial according to the rules should preserve your right to appeal but it is unclear whether the district court rules apply to small claims court. So, if you cannot get a hearing on the motion for new trial before the appeal date, then I would use the link below and file the one page appeal form.


In small claims court you have 20 days to appeal to a District Court (NOT THE COURT OF APPEALS) for any legal errors that have been made by the judge. There is a one page form by which you can file appeal.


You may want to send a letter to the judge with a copy to the other side so that he knows what is going on and you do not get lost in the system. If the judge does not give you hearing date for the new trial ASAP, then appeal.


The motion to stay would a have stopped the collection of money, but now, you will need to seek an order to refund the money to you at the time the judge grants the motion for new trial if he does. The judge cannot issue an order to keep the other side from spending the money until the judgment that is issued is first over turned either on appeal or by new trial.


Sorry this is happening to you.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Maverick. Just called the clerk of court, who seemed pleased that now we are going to follow her instructions and file an appeal. She offered, however, to present the motions to the judge today first, and see what he says, before we appeal. We will know this afternoon; she asked me to call towards later in the day. What happens if the judge does grant us a new trial date, but for a date after the 20 day time window for the appeal?
Is that good or bad? We appreciate your help, I'm sure you know.
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.

If the judge agrees to grant a new trial date, then he should also agree to sign an order extending the time to file the appeal to 20 days after any decision is made on the motion for new trial. I would ask him to put that in writing, if possible so that your right to appeal is preserved. If you can go back to the local law library and read about whether the district court rules apply in small claims court, that would help.


Rule 1.101 Applicability; statutes affected. The rules in this chapter shall govern the practice and procedure in all courts of the state, except where they expressly provide otherwise or statutes not affected hereby provide different procedure in particular courts or cases.


It is unclear from this whether the small claims court has one or more separate rules that may apply to supersede the motion for new trial rule that we have been discussing.


I do not see a separate set of rules on line for small claims court but you may want to ask the clerk where you an find those if those exist.



Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4828
Experience: Over 13 years experience in civil law.
Maverick and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We'll do as you say. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.
Sure. Thank you for your payment. Please come back if you need more assistance.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
  • Ray's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas Attorney for 29 years dealing in real estate
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.