How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorce from my ex-wife for about five years she

Resolved Question:

I have been divorce from my ex-wife for about five years she got soul property of the houes that I brought. In the divorce creed it stated that the house and loan is hers and no harm should come against me. I went to the bank to see how I can get my name off the loan, because when ever she is late on the payment it hurts my credit. The bank told to contact a realstate lawer, also I am remarried my wife and I can't got a loan to buy a house because My name still apear on my ex-wife morage loan. I need to know what to do to get my name clear for I can move forward.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


This is a common situation. Unfortunately the divorce judge has no power to modify a loan agreement that you signed with a third party bank. You will still be liable on the note and your credit will still be affected if your wife is late on the payments unless she can qualify for a new loan based on her own credit and income standing.


In other words, the divorce decree does not modify you obligation to the bank. If she defaults, you need to pay for the mortgage or keep it up to date and then sue her in divorce court for any losses you suffer as a result of her not following the terms of the divorce decree.


The only party that has the power to release you from the mortgage is the bank. But they have no incentive to do so unless your wife gets a new loan and pays this one off.





If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Maverick and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions