Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

Is there a legal time limit that a bank has to respond to a

Is there a legal time limit that a bank has to respond to a request for demand for payoff.
I am trying to buy a house, I have deposited $50,000 in escrow my 30 day loan commitment expired yesterday.. it was extended for 10 days at the cost of $850 the seller hopefully will pay.
The escrow officer says the hold up is the bank (Chase) has not given them the demand for payoff that they need to payoff the sellers mortgage.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

The trustee in charge of the seller's trust in which the property is held will need to go to a local Chase bank branch and find out what the deal is. He should be able to get a payoff amount in person if he takes the documents showing that he is the trustee along with proper identification.

If that does not work, he will need to send a certified letter telling Chase that if they fail to give a payoff or fail to tell him what he additional steps he needs to take to get a payoff by xyz date, that there cost be escrow fees and costs associated with their delay for which they will be held liable.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So there is no legal time line for a bank to respond to a payoff demand?

Under section 5(b)(1) the bank has 21 days. Please see link above.