Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

must a listing agreement have a specific start date and end

must a listing agreement have a specific start date and end date/ Is a listing that expires one year from the certificate of occupancy legal, or two years or no expiration after co is issued a legal listing agreement
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Listing agreements are basically creatures of contract law. They do not have to have a specific start and end date if the dates can be determined from other reference points. So, yes a listing agreement could say that it is valid for 1 year from the expiration of the certificate of occupancy, for example. It just needs to be clear and unambiguous.

If it is ambiguous in any way, then the ambiguity is by law resolved by a judge. The judge will look at the contract and can add or supply terms based on industry custom or trade usage to clear up the ambiguity. This is often done by filing a declaratory judgment action in court.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".