How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5800
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we are about to buy a house in La Quinta. In our escrow I

Resolved Question:

we are about to buy a house in La Quinta. In our escrow I noticed that a couple has an easement right to my property dated 1992. The land was bought by a bulider around 2002 and our lot was a part of it. It seems there is a problem to locate this couple. How tough is to remove this as I believe nobody is using it? I am not sure if other lots around us have the same problem?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


Easements generally go on forever unless terminated with a release agreement or some overt legal action. If a holder of an easement no longer uses it, you can try to institute a court action to quiet title and ask the court to serve notice of the suit by publication in a local newspaper since the easement holders cannot be located.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

how difficult and expensive is the process of removing their rights? Can I do it myself?

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

There is no guarantee that you could remove their rights if they respond to the suit unless they agree to sell them or release them. You would likely need a lawyer's help to draft a quiet title suit that has the right elements in it. The lawyer will also have to get permission from the court to serve the suit by publication. If the other side does not respond then you may win by default. I suspect that this may cost you about 3-5k in legal fees if they do not answer the suit.



Maverick and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions